The All Wales Medicines Strategy Group (AWMSG) is seeking new members for the parent committee and its subgroups – the New Medicines Group (NMG) and the All Wales Prescribing Advisory Group (AWPAG).
The AWMSG is a statutory body established in 2002. AWMSG shall advise the Welsh Minister(s) on strategic developments in medicines management, to align to A Healthier Wales and relating to:
- Delivering better outcomes for patients;
- Reducing harm and improving medication safety; and,
- Supporting the delivery of value-based care
This will involve:
- forecasting developments in the use of medicines and their impact on NHS Wales;
- advising on the availability of relevant new medicines/formulations and existing medicines with new indications, and the likely expenditure implications of making these medicines routinely available in NHS Wales;
- advising NHS Wales of trends in prescribing practice and measures that might be introduced to secure improvements and efficiencies and monitoring subsequently;
- engaging with Health Boards, NHS Trusts and other relevant bodies to ensure that recommendations and advice generated by AWMSG are an integral part of decision making within NHS Wales;
- ensuring that relevant stakeholders are kept abreast of developments, advice and guidance in medicines management;
- liaising with Welsh Government colleagues as required to secure Welsh Government ratification for recommendations and advice generated by AWMSG; and
- producing and publishing an annual report
- supporting the development and implementation of NICE guidance and quality standards in health, public health and social care. The Group should complement and support the work of NICE and not in any way duplicate or conflict with its work.
Are you interested in health technology appraisal?
Do you want to promote best prescribing practice and advise on medicines optimisation?
If your answer to the either of the above questions is YES and you are able to commit to up to 10 meetings per year, then we would like to invite you to apply for membership.
The All Wales Medicines Strategy Group requires the following members:
- Medical Director representative (alternate member)
- Consultant in Pharmaceutical Public Health (alternate member)
- General Practitioner with prescribing lead role (alternate member)
One of the roles and responsibilities of AWMSG and the function of the subgroup NMG is to appraise new medicines for use within NHS Wales. NMG shall provide advice in relation to the clinical and cost effectiveness of newly introduced medicines (not on the NICE work programme) to a maximum of 100 agents each year.
- Are you interested in health technology appraisal?
- Do you want to join a multidisciplinary enthusiastic team appraising new medicines
- for NHS Wales?
- Do you want to contribute to the broadening the appraisal remit of AWMSG?
If your answer to the any of the above questions is YES and you are able to commit to up to 10 meetings per year, then we would like to invite you to apply for membership.
The New Medicines Group requires the following members:
- Public Health Wales representative/epidemiologist (member and alternate member)
- General Practitioner with prescribing lead role (member)
- Hospital Consultant (member and alternate member)
This group supports the work programme of AWMSG advising on strategic developments in prescribing and medicines management including:
- development of a prescribing and medicines strategy for Wales
- documents and issues referred to it by AWMSG, Welsh Government or other NHS organisations
- monitoring prescribing patterns and developing appropriate indicators
- developing and implementing strategies that promote safe, rational, cost-effective prescribing
- advising on appropriate training, education and professional development for those persons employed in providing prescribing advice
- advising on the impact of developments that involve the use of medicines
- working in collaboration with other groups and organisations, promote the best use of medicines for patients
Do you want to join an enthusiastic group of healthcare professionals, patients and industry colleagues, in supporting strategic development of AWMSG’s work programme? If YES and you are able to commit to up to four meetings per year, then we would like to invite you to apply for membership.
The All Wales Prescribing Advisory Group requires the following members:
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Betsi Cadwaladr UHB (member and
- alternate member)
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Swansea Bay UHB (member and alternate
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Cwm Taf Morgannwg UHB (member and
- alternate member)
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Cardiff and Vale UHB (alternate member)
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Aneurin Bevan UHB (alternate member)
- Hospital Consultant/General Practitioner Hywel Dda UHB (alternate member)
- Hospital Consultant Velindre University NHS Trust (member and alternate member)
- Pharmacist Swansea Bay UHB (alternate member)
- Other healthcare professional eligible to prescribe (alternate member)
- Public Health Wales representative (alternate member)
Members are expected to apply experience and judgement from their relevant backgrounds to the issues under consideration and, in doing so, actively contribute to improving the quality and consistency of care provided by NHS Wales.
Members and alternates can rotate attendance at meetings.
Members will be expected to deal in a timely manner with the reading of substantial committee documents and contribute to the development of strategic issues identified.
Membership is unpaid, although expenses are reimbursed.
Members will be asked to declare any personal (specific or non-specific) interests.
Meetings dates are fixed and made available to members up to a year in advance.
Terms of office will be either three or four years. Appointees may serve two terms but the total period of appointment must not exceed eight years. Reappointment is subject to a satisfactory performance appraisal, which is undertaken by the AWMSG Chair.
Please forward your CV with a letter/email supporting your application for membership to the relevant group (identifying the nature of the motivation underpinning the application) to email@example.com
Alternatively, send your application by post to:
Senior Liaison Manager
All Wales Therapeutics and Toxicology Centre
Routledge Academic Centre
University Hospital Llandough
Vale of Glamorgan
Applications will be acknowledged by the AWMSG Secretariat (AWTTC) and will be considered by the AWMSG Steering Committee.
Download this information as a PDF document